And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, August 28, 2017

The Linen Closet

We have this awkward closet in our hallway. It's narrow but deep, and it only has 2 small shelves across the back wall. There's no room for a rod. The lighting fixture is just open bulb, and it sticks out from the wall instead of hanging so it makes the storage area even smaller. I decided it was only useful as a linen closet when we first moved in.

First, I tried stacking sheets and pillowcases and comforters on those two small shelves. Well, that wasn't nearly enough room for extra bedding for 3 bedrooms and guests. Then, I invested in some plastic totes. I can get about 4 of those in there, but it's a struggle to get them through the narrow door. We can push and shove and get them in, but every time we need something we have to pull out a couple of bins to get it. Of course, plenty of extra linens get thrown in on top of the bins. We have a vacuum shoved in the front of the closet now. There's some luggage thrown in there. No matter how many times I pull everything out and straighten it up, that closet is just a mess. I keep trying to think of ways to make the storage area more useful, but it's just so awkward. I want it to be nice and tidy, but it's a perpetual disaster.

Isn't life like that too? We get the job or the house we want. We meet a goal, and we expect things to be nice and tidy. Instead a new expense or illness or injury comes along and life feels like a disaster again. We think and plan and dream how a season will look and then something spoils it.

Sometimes I want to give up on that closet. I want to take everything out and lock the door and forget it exists. That would be silly though because I don't have anywhere else to put my linens, and it would be a huge waste! While the closet isn't perfect, it serves its purpose. It holds our linens. Not in the way we'd like but in a way that works.

Life isn't going to be perfect. We can't make it exactly like we want it because the bigger plan is God's plan. He doesn't do things the way we expect Him too.

Isaiah 55:8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

Even as I typed this, I received some wonderful news that undid a big mess from last week. When your linen closet, errr....life...., is a mess just stay in God's word and in prayer to see how it will all turn out. Some days the totes will be stacked perfectly and everything will be in its place. Some days you'll open the door and be buried by an avalanche.

Philippians 4:11b-13 For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengthened me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!