And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, July 17, 2017

What Worked for 7th Grade



Last month I shared what worked for Speedy for 4th grade. Now I want to tell you what worked well for Apple for 7th grade. While many families regularly swap curriculum during a school year that goes against my planned and organized nature. When we did reviews for the Schoolhouse Review Crew, I had to learn to be more flexible as we were constantly trying new items for review. Since we did not rejoin the Crew last January, our curriculum was a little more set...or so I thought.

The first big thing Apple did differently for 7th grade was to take outside classes. Her science and language arts classes were both done outside our home by other teachers. She really enjoyed that experience and is looking forward to doing it again in the future. The program changed a bit so she's sad not to be able to do those classes for 8th grade but is hoping to rejoin in 9th grade. I thought it was great for her to experience other teachers. She learned some valuable lessons about turning in assignments on a particular date and about the importance of remembering to take your backpack to class! She was also involved in a local co-op both semesters so she was able to take brief Government, STEM, and Spanish classes. She enjoyed all 3 of those and learned some new things.

Now at home we had some struggles. The original Bible and History/ Government choices I had for her just really didn't pan out. She worked her way through part of them and then we swapped to something different. Since I didn't have access to as many new curricula items, we pieced things together from what we already had. She did several different Bible courses I had downloaded already, read some extra books for History, and basically worked on unit study and copywork type assignments. That wasn't at all what I had planned for 7th grade, but we made it work. I love the idea of saying she worked on X and completed it all but it just isn't that easy for 7th grade. I can say she worked on lots of different things and learned many new facts along the way. Since she was struggling in Bible and there were some character issues we needed to address with both kids, we started readying about a chapter a day of the Gospels. We made it almost to the end of John and enjoyed talking about the chapters each day.

Math is not Apple's favorite subject, but she is very good at it. It was hard but she worked through Algebra I with Math-U-See and with CTCMath. Algebra I took a good chunk of her time each day, but she completed it and was so happy to be finished.

Apple also read loads of books and did quite a bit of writing.

It's taken me so long to write this post because it's hard to define 7th grade! We realized some interesting things last year. She's read and studied so many things on her own already that taking outside classes meant she did quite a bit of "review". I tried to use that to keep calm about all the plans that went out the window mid-year. She also had some classmates tell her it was "impossible" to be doing Algebra I in the 7th grade. She went through a lot of emotions over that. She first doubted me. Then herself. Eventually though she realized it wasn't impossible and that made it that much sweeter when she finished.

Homeschool never gets easier. At least it hasn't yet for us! Each year brings on new challenges and new goals. Did you learn anything new in your homeschool year? Have you had a child that needed to chunk the plans and find something new?

3 comments:

  1. I'll have a 7th grader this year! I am looking forward to the change. We'll incorporate more time management this year. What made you decide to have her take Algebra I this year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've replied twice, but it doesn't seem to be "sticking!" She completed Pre-Algebra for 6th grade so Algebra I was next in the Math-U-See line up. For 8th grade she'll be doing an Economics/ Consumer Math type program then she will complete Geometry, Algebra II, and 2 higher math courses for high school credits. We also worked on time management and independence in 7th grade. Those will be ongoing life lessons. :)

      Delete
    2. I've replied twice, but it doesn't seem to be "sticking!" She completed Pre-Algebra for 6th grade so Algebra I was next in the Math-U-See line up. For 8th grade she'll be doing an Economics/ Consumer Math type program then she will complete Geometry, Algebra II, and 2 higher math courses for high school credits. We also worked on time management and independence in 7th grade. Those will be ongoing life lessons. :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!